"I couldn't say enough good things about the school and what you guys are doing there to help people."
The Institute of Design and Construction (IDC) is a private, non-profit institution registered by the New York State Department of Education, accredited by the New York State Board of Regents and authorized to confer Associate Degrees in Occupational Studies.
IDC was founded in 1947 by Vito P. Battista, R.A. and is located in downtown Brooklyn. Its primary goal is to offer undergraduate and professional training and to prepare individuals for rewarding careers in the building construction industry.
The Institute began as an evening school in December, 1947 at 26 Court Street in Brooklyn. Approximately 100 students enrolled, with eight instructors teaching 11 subjects.
In 1952, the Institute's courses of study were approved by the Veterans Administration. In January of 1955, the Institute was organizationally changed to a not-for-profit institution and received a provisional charter for its curriculum leading to a Certificate in Architecture and a Certificate in Engineering. In September 1955, the Institute purchased a landmark church building at 311 Bridge Street. By then, the Institute had an enrollment of approximately 450 students, with 35 instructors teaching 58 subjects.
In 1968, the Institute purchased the American Law Book building at 141 Willoughby Street, its present location.
In January of 1974, IDC was authorized by the New York State Board of Regents to confer Associate Degrees of Occupational Studies (A.O.S.) in Architectural Technology, Building Construction Technology and Building Systems Design Technology. That same year, the school was approved for the Basic Education Opportunity Grant (BEOG) Program (now Pell Grant Program) by the United States Office of Education. The New York State Department of Education approved IDC for the Tuition Assistance Program and training of veterans.
The Institute of Design and Construction was granted an Absolute Charter of complete and permanent college status in March of 1975. The Institute is a pioneer in the educational program now known as the 'Work and Study Plan.' This full-time day program was started in 1952, and consists of two semesters of accelerated course study in the architectural and building construction fields. At the end of the first year, students work during the day and return to evening school to complete their training toward an Associate Degree in Occupational Studies. This Work/Study program requires 2-1/2 years to complete. The evening school program requires three years to complete. In 1997, IDC added an Interior Design major to its Architectural Technology program.
IDC's day program has made available an architectural or construction education to talented students in the shortest possible time, and makes an education in these fields attainable for students who are unable to afford a full-time university education. The school graduates highly trained individuals who meet the demands of the building construction industry.
IDC maintains a free placement service for its students and has achieved an excellent reputation for supplying highly prepared personnel to architectural, interior design, construction and engineering firms. Employers contact the placement office with job opportunities and our administrative staff assists in arranging interviews. IDC does not guarantee any jobs or placements.